The new year fast approaches and TMC News would like to thank all the people who visited our website in 2019 and read our stories.
From flesh-eating bacteria to one woman’s journey back from a brain injury, our top 10 articles covered a lot of ground. Some of the stories are short and data-driven; others are long-form narratives that paint detailed pictures of patients with medical challenges.
If you missed any of our top 10 stories of 2019, no worries—we’ve listed them below. With links!
Happy new year. We’ll be back in 2020.
TMC News Top Online Stories of 2019
- How to avoid flesh-eating bacteria at the beach this summer: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/07/how-to-avoid-flesh-eating-bacteria-at-the-beach-this-summer/ (By Britni R. McAshan) (15,154 pageviews)
- FDA approves Spravato, a fast-acting antidepressant nasal spray: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/03/fda-approves-spravato-a-fast-acting-antidepressant-nasal-spray/ (By Shanley Pierce) (15,116 pageviews)
- FDA decides not to ban textured breast implants linked to cancer: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/04/textured-breast-implants-linked-to-cancer/ (By Shanley Pierce) (12,778 pageviews)
- “Breakthrough” documentary about Jim Allison Debuts at SXSW https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/03/breakthrough-documentary-about-nobel-laureate-jim-allison-ph-d-debuts-at-sxsw/ (By Cindy George) (12,453 pageviews)
- Odds of dying: For the first time, opioid overdoses exceed car crashes: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/01/odds-of-dying-for-the-first-time-opioid-overdoses-exceed-car-crashes/ (By Shanley Pierce) (9,978 pageviews)
- Santa Fe Survivor: Inside the race to save Officer John Barnes: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/02/santa-fe-survivor-inside-the-race-to-save-officer-john-barnes/ (By Alexandra Becker) (9,545 pageviews)
- How long do transplanted organs last? https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/04/how-long-do-transplanted-organs-last/ (By Britni R. McAshan) (6,560 pageviews)
- “Breakthrough” documentary debuts in Houston: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/09/breakthrough-documentary-about-nobel-laureate-jim-allison-debuts-in-houston/ (By Cindy George) (6,006 pageviews)
- Is kratom, the popular herbal supplement, dangerous? https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/06/is-kratom-the-popular-herbal-supplement-dangerous/ (By Shanley Pierce) (5,819 pageviews)
- A light inside: Coming back after a brain injury: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/09/a-light-inside-coming-back-from-a-brain-injury/ (By Alexandra Becker) (4,956 pageviews)
RT @BCMHouston_News: Trying to lose weight in the new year? Thinking about intermittent #fasting? @bcmhouston dietitian Emily Monfiletto vi…
@Marissa_lara14 We're thinking of you, Marissa.
RT @jmills1955: Annual Surgical Jeopardy @BCM_Surgery Residents vs Faculty. The Faculty have never won! @DrRosengart @kmattox1 @drml…
Veterans ask, VA answers: Questions on electronic health record modernization. https://t.co/IkeHFZV0zn via #VAntagePoint
103-year-old WWII Veteran finally gets the recognition he deserves https://t.co/shJIdq9Ju9 via @CBSEveningNews
Watch to learn how we’re enhancing the ability of patients’ own T cells to fight cancer. #endcancer https://t.co/sFMz5eExco
Today’s rising #livercancer rates have been driven by non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which is linked to obesity.But our experts are working with @ScrippsHealth to study an #immunotherapy combination to treat liver cancer and save lives: https://t.co/uwAhLH51uk #endcancer
College of Charleston looks to send dozens of Valentine’s Day cards to Veterans https://t.co/fFqeaN3T7o via @ABCNews4
Dorit Donoviel, Ph.D., discusses taking risks in science and what the Translational Research Institute for Space Health is doing to help people in space with @InnoMapHou. https://t.co/wbML42L9Wb #space #spacemedicine
University of Houston@UHouston
RT @UH_Pharmacy: Breaking: With 100% chance of rain for Wed, Jan. 22, the "Shine A Light on Mental Health" fair from noon to 2 pm has been…
For the second consecutive year, Transplant Services at @TexasChildrens was named the top pediatric transplant center in the US, performing a remarkable 106 solid organ transplants in 2019. Learn more: https://t.co/iR6xO02dTC https://t.co/aOPfISdYhs
University of Houston@UHouston
Which Shasta are YOU? Check out our new Instagram face effects, available now! https://t.co/POQlqNnN3W
Join us this Saturday, January 25 for All About HER! (Health, Emotions & Relationships) at @TexasChildrens The Woodlands! To register, visit: https://t.co/7dqWlmWZOg https://t.co/J84AYU8aZW
Feeling the love on #NationalHugDay 🤗 #AstrosCaravan @OrbitAstros @astros https://t.co/fqD7iWP7AH
Belly fat, more than excess weight, may be a factor in the risk for multiple heart attacks, according to a new study. Tackle that belly fat with a heart-healthy diet and exercise. https://t.co/8f3YKQOlPJ via @CNN https://t.co/bDi6EYVVHZ