The Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world, today announced the TMC Venture Fund, a $25 million initiative designed to support technologies and early-stage companies to flourish in Houston’s health care ecosystem and further the TMC’s mission to advance health, education and research.
The Texas Medical Center unveiled plans for the TMC Venture Fund to an audience of more than 600 investors, hospital stakeholders, advisors and members of Houston’s innovation ecosystem who are gathered for TMCx Demo Day.
“The TMC Venture Fund is a quintessential example of the Texas Medical Center’s ongoing commitment to driving collaboration across our medical city and further establishing Texas as the third coast of life sciences in the United States,” said Bill McKeon, Texas Medical Center President and Chief Executive Officer.
The TMC Venture Fund Board of Directors includes members of the TMC Board and management. Companies interested in applying for funding will find an application on the TMC Venture Fund website. Recipients will be selected by a TMC Venture Fund Investment Committee, whose members all share expertise, passion and experience in shepherding early-stage technology companies into next-generation services and products.
The TMC Venture Fund Investment Committee is comprised of Chair Bill McKeon, Texas Medical Center President and CEO; Barbara Bass, M.D., Houston Methodist Hospital; Juliana Garaizar, Houston Angel Network; Erik Halvorsen, Ph.D., TMC Innovation Institute; Bernard A. Harris, Jr., M.D., Vesalius Ventures; Chester J. Koh, M.D., Texas Children’s Hospital; Adam Kuspa, Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine; Larry Lawson, GOOSE Society; Tom Luby, Ph.D., JLABS @ TMC; and Ferran Prat, Ph.D., J.D., MD Anderson Cancer Center.
The TMC Venture Fund will help accomplish one of the key tenets of the Texas Medical Center Strategic Plan by transforming innovative ideas into tangible solutions for improving heath. The fund will provide monetary resources to young startups in the health care space with a nexus to Houston and the Texas Medical Center. These early, but critical-stage, investments heighten companies’ chances of receiving additional funding and long-term success.
“I am delighted that the Texas Medical Center continues to execute on a strategic plan that represents the shared vision of our board of directors and the leadership of our member institutions,” noted Texas Medical Center Chairman O. Holcombe Crosswell. “We want this fund to give young companies the resources they need to grow the health care ecosystem in Houston and, ultimately, advance patient care.”
The TMC Venture Fund Investment Committee has selected the following 2017 recipients:
- ALLEVIANT: Alleviant Medical is focused on developing a novel minimally-invasive device to treat congestive heart failure. Their proprietary technology is designed to relieve heart failure symptoms, improve quality of life and reduce hospital admissions for more than 16 million patients currently suffering from this disease in the U.S. and abroad.
- BRITESEED: Briteseed is commercializing a new class of smart surgical tools that have artificial-vision assistance to help surgeons quickly identify landmarks and safely navigate vital structures. These multifunctional tools have the benefit of cautery, dissection and optical tissue sensing in a single package.
- CNSDOSE: CNSDose uses advanced genetic technology to fast-track finding the right antidepressant and dose. Genetically guided prescribing via CNSDose results in a 2.5 times greater likelihood of remission, which means faster recovery, reducing suffering and cutting costs that result from trial-and-error prescribing.
- MEDABLE: Medable is transforming health care by providing an enterprise platform for “Direct-to-Patient” clinical care and clinical trials, enabling patient-generated data to drive health care delivery, research and personalized and predictive medicine.
- NONINVASIX: To reduce the incidence of neonatal mortality and morbidity, Noninvasix is developing a patient monitor to directly, accurately and noninvasively measure brain oxygenation in premature babies in the neonatal intensive care unit. Real-time brain oxygenation monitoring will allow doctors to intervene before neurological function is permanently compromised.
“The TMC Venture Fund is another step forward in TMC’s creation and cultivation of a life sciences hub that will be based in Houston, the most diverse city in the nation,” McKeon concluded.
University of Houston@UHouston
History counts! UH history professor Frank Holt hasn’t just studied ancient history, he’s rewritten it by studying the heritage of ancient coins. https://t.co/PEqz3BEM62
"What this study is telling us is that metastases observed from an image on a CT scan is an imprint of what was seeded years ago," says our @Aiims1742.He weighs in on how tumor profiling offers hope: https://t.co/rY7utcf8Ws @Medscape #targetedtherapy #endcancer
¿Sabía que las clínicas móviles de @TexasChildrens ofrecen #vacunas a los niños que tienen #Medicaid o no tienen cobertura de salud? Obtenga más información: https://t.co/ERfwGsnMT5 #texaschildrens https://t.co/Av1Uc8Z9vc
RT @RepWalle: Thank you @GreatDayDeborah & @GreatDayHouston for allowing us to spread word about our @UTPhysicians Jensen Drive Immunizatio…
RT @BCMCancerCenter: The search is on for families impacted by gliomas including glioblastomas. Learn if you or someone you know might qual…
How a personalized plan allowed #breastcancer survivor and @IronmanTri athlete Lisa Tecklenberg to keep running during treatment: https://t.co/f88sybZxJj @DrTLWoodard @WTereffeMD @largorene #bcsm #endcancer
RT @TCHResearchNews: Are any of your family members or friends affected by #SYNGAP1 syndrome? If so, plan to attend @bsyngap's family meetu…
DART Around: VA North Texas helps break isolation barriers for Veterans https://t.co/JKt0nDg1w9 via #VAntagePoint
Don't miss this Saturday's Community Awareness Research Event (CAREvent)! Join researchers from @TexasChildrens and Baylor College of Medicine for a free family-friendly community event to learn about opportunities to raise your voice in #autism #research. https://t.co/8oODFGRLoG https://t.co/0khQIVxu5q
RT @TheBHF: Anatomically accurate heart and lung emojis are on the way, and we couldn’t be happier! Hopefully coming to a phone near you by…
RT @TheBHF: Banish breakfast boredom with our 14 delicious porridge ideas! https://t.co/vKKSEk3gzE
@tthomaslew76 @EFHusoe We're heartbroken to hear about your mom. You're in our thoughts.
RT @TCHGlobalHealth: Interested in discussing current global health issues with @TexasChildrens #GlobalHealthCorps physicians? 👩⚕️ Speak t…
Explore a nursing career helping Veterans at the National Black Nurses Association Institute and Conference https://t.co/MbSrPF9DeW via #VAntagePoint @vacareers
Harris Health System@harrishealth
RT @FOX26Houston: Woman who completed radiation for breast cancer rings ‘cancer-free bell' so hard she breaks it https://t.co/HYJxKys19n @M…