When Medical Informatics CEO Emma Fauss, Ph.D., got up to give her company pitch, she had poise and a call to action. That earned her a thumbs-up from one important person in the audience.
John Bates, CEO of Executive Speaking Success, was feverishly taking notes during Fauss’ speech. After, he said she had done a good job, but with one caveat — that she introduced herself after he had already done so.
“Did you not like how I introduced you?” he asked her in a jovial manner.
Most people would not want to be singled out in a case like this, but the audience was filled with entrepreneurs who came to hear Bates give his “It Must Be Pitch Craft” workshop at Johnson & Johnson Innovation’s JLABS @ TMC, hoping to walk away with tips on how to create better company pitches.
Bates began working with startups in 1994, with a goal of helping them avoid many of the mistakes he made while trying to do everything from internal presentations to getting funding from investors.
For those who didn’t have the pleasure of attending — and missed one heck of a light saber fight — here’s a breakdown of his words of wisdom.
- Communicating with human beings is not logical, it is biological. Make an emotional connection to the audience, essentially warm up the room, put people at ease and then hit them with the logic.
- People mirror what they see. Make a bad face, and the audience will too. “If you give them something to good to mirror, they will be a good audience,” Bates said.
- Maintain good body language and avoid micro gestures. He advises acknowledging all of the chaos going on in the mind, getting rid of it and replacing the thoughts with something inspiring about the audience.
- When it comes to pitching to investors, these are some of the things they want: Demonstrate teamwork, be likeable and don’t always think shallow. Instead of saying “If we can just get 2 percent of $2 billion marketplace, we will be good,” say “It’s a $2 billion marketplace, and we will show how we can monopolize 2 percent of it.
- Some of the biggest mistakes in pitching happen when people:
- Don’t communicate clearly: “Something unclear will go to the bottom of the pile,” Bates said;
- Insist on telling the entire story: “Your job is to explain enough so they want a second meeting,” he said; and
- Are naïve, which Bates says is another word for lazy.
Some of Bates’ parting advice: “Don’t be the hero of your talk. Make the audience the hero.”
Researchers apply basic science to help predict poor treatment outcomes in patients with pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. https://t.co/7bfa07YP4n #ALL #acutelymphoblasticleukemia @BCMFromtheLabs
RT @DraettaG: 2019 Leading Edge in Cancer Research Symposium. Spectacular talks by Dana P’eer, our Bertner Lecture Awardee, on Cell Plastic…
“My life today is full and happy,” says 3x non-Hodgkin #lymphoma survivor Caroline Rose: https://t.co/YCn4tkNYEU #lymsm #endcancer
@xpjessiica Let us know if we can be of assistance, Jessica. Best wishes to you.
RT @BCMHouston_News: "It requires a big cultural shift and buy-in. That’s always the challenge." - @bcmhouston expert @SMorain discusses th…
Contemporary African art will be featured in the @MoodyArts' spring exhibition: https://t.co/9H5BMnyruE https://t.co/tw2WsrpPij
On the blog, Dr. Javier Chinen, specialist in allergic disorders and immunology defects at @TexasChildrens, shares tips for managing allergy and asthma during the holiday season: https://t.co/LTrEsmcpy5 https://t.co/u0Qu6NYvXN
If you've ever paced around your house to get to 10,000 steps, you may have wasted your time. Here's why wearable tech could be leading you on: https://t.co/0fWP3t324r. https://t.co/9i8QWd1U5o
RT @bcm_ocd: We're recruiting participants for a study that explores people's thoughts & feelings about the use of deep brain stimulation f…
Thank you to Judge @LinaHidalgoTX for stopping by @TexasChildrens this week! We are eager to work with you to promote healthy initiatives in our community so all children and women are cared for. https://t.co/rVw2TsCggG
Neisha used VA’s VetSuccess on Campus program to become more competitive in the job market https://t.co/FUjuu3WsnO #VeteransMonth2019
RT @RiceAthletics: It’s #All4Rice Friday!Show off your school pride by submitting your best game day photos at the link below for a chanc…
CHI St. Luke's Health@CHI_StLukes
RT @sfoster23: I'm proud of our team representing @CHI_StLukes Health–Patients Medical Center at the #BayAreaHeartWalk earlier this month!…
Wok on Sunset, the latest craze from @RiceDining, is dishing out tofu, dumplings, tea eggs and more. Now open at North Servery. https://t.co/A3O4N8M6MN
Want to help put a smile on a patient’s face? Help spread holiday cheer by giving our kids a chance to win @Mattel toys. #SpreadJoywithToys with @speaknowforkids by nominating @TexasChildrens! https://t.co/YppxXZO8Wr https://t.co/8hZ5k4sRkB