Texas Medical Center (TMC) today welcomes 13 companies specializing in digital health into the second installment of the TMCx accelerator, an institute that couples the resources of the world’s largest medical center with the innovative spark of entrepreneurs.
The second year of the TMCx program marks a notable change: each class will focus on a specialized subset of health care innovation, with two classes participating each year. Beginning today through June 2016, the 13 companies chosen will focus on digital health. In July, the next cohort will begin with a focus on medical device innovation. Unlike most accelerators, TMCx does not charge membership fees or require equity from the participating companies.
“Bringing 13 companies together, each of them focused on different aspects of digital health care innovation, will foster an incredible synergy that can lead to unpredictable associations, collaborations and greater acceleration for each company,” said Erik M. Halvorsen, director of the TMC Innovation Institute. “TMCx companies have access to the largest collection of top physicians, scientists and business expertise on one campus, which serves over nine million patients annually. The new program structure will make the best use of these important resources.”
Hailing from throughout Texas and across the country, companies accepted into the second TMCx class include:
- Aprenda Systems (Houston) – Aprenda Systems provides organizations with rich, accurate and timely directory data through access to Signature, the world’s first identity convergence platform.
- CareSet Systems (Houston) – CareSet Systems builds physician networks.
- DocResponse (Houston) – DocResponse is a software company focused on health care diagnostics for clinical decision support.
- ePreop (Seal Beach, Calif.) – ePreop’s SurgicalValet software helps coordinate perioperative care while optimizing patient engagement, billing support, readmission prevention and everything in between.
- GreenLight Medical (San Francisco) – GreenLight Medical is a decision-engine to promote cost and quality conscious purchases within hospitals for new medical technology review and approval.
- Moving Analytics (Marina Del Rey, Calif.) – Moving Analytics helps hospitals implement home-based cardiac rehab programs delivered through patients’ mobile devices.
- Qidza (San Francisco) – Qidza is a mobile platform that translates developmental science into fun health-screening activities throughout human development, beginning with babies.
- Secure Healing (Houston) – Secure Healing helps hospitals comply with auditing the requirements of HIPAA and other regulations by automatically identifying inappropriate access of confidential information.
- Sense.ly (San Francisco) – Sense.ly is a virtual nurse platform that helps clinicians better manage and communicate with their patients.
- The Right Place (Houston) – The Right Place provides hospitals and post-acute providers a more efficient and reliable way to match the right patient to the right place of care.
- TowerView Health (Philadelphia) – TowerView Health helps chronically-ill patients manage their medication.
- Valera Health (Williamsburg, N.Y.) – Valera Health is enabling the future of behavioral health care through smartphone-based support for behavioral wellness and care coordination.
- Xpress (Santa Fe, N.M.) – Xpress puts providers and patients in charge of health care, giving them real-time access to unbiased pharmaceutical resources and information.
TMCx provides a comprehensive and practical curriculum to assist participating founders on their entrepreneurial path. Successful investors, entrepreneurs, subject-matter experts, industry professionals and hospital leaders guide each startup in the areas of intellectual property, product development, regulatory strategies, health policy, marketing, fundraising, contract negotiations and communications. In addition, TMCx companies participate in the accelerator without the requirement to provide equity in return.
TMCx is now welcoming applications online for its third class that runs from July until December 2016. For more information, visit www.tmc-x.org.
TMCx is the Texas Medical Center’s accelerator program housed in a 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility, designed to catapult the development of early-stage companies. TMCx is one of the core components of the Texas Medical Center’s Innovation Institute and the first step in the Texas Medical Center’s long-term plans to become one of the world’s premiere life science commercialization clusters. TMCx provides life science and digital health entrepreneurs the essential resources for growth including office and meeting space, training curriculum, a core group of business and legal experts and a network of advisors and potential investors. The inaugural TMCx program launched in spring 2015.
RAPID CITY, SD: World War II Veterans from across the Black Hills gather for annual luncheon https://t.co/XsO0DewfB1 via @NewsCenter1
Connecticut: West Haven Memorial Day parade to be led by Vietnam Veteran https://t.co/Fu8JWSJP6l via @nhregister
RT @FOX26Houston: UTHealth preps for approaching hurricane season https://t.co/Pk4HLVM4ny https://t.co/QoNMZxmcID
Today we honor Navy SEAL Veteran Scott Wirtz in remembrance of his service and sacrifice for our country. https://t.co/rkkOXObR3P #VeteranOfTheDay #CarryTheLoad #NoVeteranEverDies
10% of patients are admitted to MD Anderson with #pneumonia. Our @ScottEvansMD is working to protect #cancer patients from this and other lung diseases with a new aerosol treatment: https://t.co/Pbn9mjV7FT @CancerFrontline #endcancer
@obstudiotexas We appreciate your feedback and have shared your concern with the appropriate contact person.
RT @UHpres: After beating Texas A&M, Cougar Softball beats Sam Houston...will play winner of UT/TAMU tomorrow at chance to win out Texas Re…
RT @UHCougarSB: BALL GAMEEEEE!!!!!!!! @presbell17 retires the side in order and completes the shutout victory!!#hoUSton #GoCoogs https://…
RT @NCAAsoftball: The Coogs are heading to the Regional Finals for the first time since 2011! @UHCougarSB blanks Sam Houston State, 5-0, an…
Help give hope to patients against end-stage illnesses by investing in cancer research. Learn how you can help: https://t.co/4T5JCqKmZm #giving https://t.co/vFmZoE73jN
“We’re exploring the tremendous opportunities to understand the immune system and turn it against #prostatecancer tumors,” says our Dr. Filippo Giancotti. #pcsm #CancerMoonshot #endcancer https://t.co/kSvhY7RLR6
Congratulations to this year’s @MDA_UTHGrad graduates! We are proud of all that you’ve accomplished and look forward to seeing all that you do to #endcancer and advance the biomedical sciences in the years ahead. https://t.co/lWYhJk3zLd
CHI St. Luke's Health@CHI_StLukes
Cramps, bloating, mood swings... #PMS can be a pain, so check out some of our favorite tips for easing the discomfort: https://t.co/kRYPi3shyx #NWHW #WomensHealthWeek https://t.co/9FYXvDjXtD
Tiny object, BIG project. How a Rice photographer captured the perfect shot for the cover of @sciencemagazine: https://t.co/lvgpYNfXLm https://t.co/5sPrElM1Lw
Harris Health System@harrishealth
LBJ Hospital celebrated #NationalHospitalWeek with an ice cream sundae bar, popcorn, photo booth day and salsa tasting contest. https://t.co/9slCsNDHM3