Texas Medical Center Welcomes Inaugural Class to TMC|X
Houston, TX – March 9, 2015 – Texas Medical Center (TMC) today announced the inaugural class of TMC|X, its accelerator program and one of the core components of the TMC’s Innovation Institute. TMC|X, housed in a 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility, is designed to catapult the development of early-stage companies. Following a strenuous application and interview process, 22 TMC|X companies hailing from across the globe, including Germany, Israel and throughout the United States, have been selected from a pool of over 260 applicants to begin the program today.
“We are extremely proud to welcome the first class of startup companies into TMC|X,” said Dr. Robert C. Robbins, President and CEO, TMC. “From ideation to commercialization, we will work closely with these entrepreneurs to transform scientific innovations into tangible tools that will save lives, manage disease and improve the public’s quality of life. There is no doubt their talents and innovations will change not only Houston, but the world.”
Companies accepted into TMCx include:
- Adient Medical – Develops absorbable medical devices that serve a purpose and then vanish without intervention
- Admetsys – Developed the first fully-automated glucose control system specifically for the needs of hospital and surgical care
- Brain Check – Mobile measurement of brain function
- Clear Ear – Making ears happier
- Sage Health – Driving efficiency by building a digital nervous system for hospitals, extending the capabilities of modern EHR systems with human-centric sensors and analytics software
- Creative Bioinformatics – Online marketplace connecting freelance bioinformatics scientists with custom projects in academia and industry
- Delafield Solutions – Through their PHP technology, provides 24/7, real-time, disinfection of air and surfaces where people live, work, and play; ideally suited for office and healthcare environments as it provides safe, continuous treatment with no disruption to daily routines
- DiBS – Catalyzing discovery and empowering people through interactive data visualization
- ECM Technologies – Commercializing Designer Collagens, a versatile medical device platform, for biomedical needs
- Gauss Surgical – The world’s first FDA-approved real-time monitor for surgical blood loss
- iShoe – A balance diagnostics company that quantifies balance, empowering users to be proactive about their health
- Laser Tissue Welding – Non-ablative surgical hemostasis for highly accurate sutureless and surgical repair using human serum albumin-based materials
- Medical Adhesive Revolution – Next generation surgical adhesives
- NanoLinea – Creating novel medical treatments based on carbon nanotube fiber technology; flagship product is CardioLinea, a minimally invasive and restorative treatment for ventricular cardiac arrhythmia
- Noninvasix – Commercializing a noninvasive monitor of fetal cerebral blood oxygenation that will reduce the incidence of cerebral palsy and unnecessary cesarean section
- Oxitone Medical – A bracelet pulse oximetry platform that provides continuous supervision of pulmonary, heart and sleep-related diseases to empower preventative care
- Proximare Health – Creating an automated, intelligent referral process that matches patients, treatments and providers to increase revenue retention, enhance care coordination and improve patient satisfaction
- Redox – The modern API for EMR integration; making it easier to integrate with EMRs
- SemanticMD – Provides a collaborative annotation and visual search platform for physicians analyzing medical images
- Seratis – Collects all of the digital conversations around a patient onto a single trusted cloud-based platform; connects all of the providers responsible for a patient’s well-being, across departments and beyond the hospital walls, in a single Care Map, closing gaps of care and enabling better health
- Skylit Medical – Using a connected device with cutting edge lighting technology to provide access to clear skin for patients affected by conditions caused by the immune system
- Will 2 Love – Creating internet interventions for problems with sexuality and fertility related to cancer and other chronic illnesses
TMC|X provides a comprehensive and practical curriculum to assist participating founders on their entrepreneurial path. Startups will spend the first two weeks of the program in Lean Launch Boot Camp, an intensive series of workshops, presentations and hands-on events to define their value proposition, determine their market fit and gather insights through customer discovery. The team of Steve Blanks, who pioneered the evidence-based lean methodology that has become the gold standard for startups, accelerators, governments, and large corporations, will lead the Lean Launch Boot Camp.
Following Boot Camp, the remaining weeks of the six-month program will be spent in topical sessions and workshops designed to help startups overcome common hurdles in commercializing medical technologies. Successful entrepreneurs, subject-matter experts, industry professionals and hospital leaders will guide participating founders in the areas of intellectual property, product development, regulatory strategies, health policy, marketing, fundraising, contract negotiations and communications.
TMC|X companies have access to the largest collection of top physicians, scientists and business expertise on one campus, which serves over 7.2 million patients annually. In addition, TMC|X companies will participate in the accelerator without the financial burden or requirement to accept dilutive funding.
For more information, visit www.tmc-x.org.