Texas Medical Center (TMC) and Village Capital, a managed investment fund and nonprofit focused on supporting impact-driven entrepreneurs, have joined forces for the VilCap USA: Health IT 2014 program, which will support early-stage businesses that are seeking digital health and business solutions to make healthcare more affordable and of a higher quality for all Americans.
The program is structured in four intensive four-day sessions over three months, with two in Houston and two in Salt Lake City. The sessions at TMC will be held December 7-10 and February 18-21. Village Capital’s unique program model allows the entrepreneurs themselves to select the business they feel is most deserving of investment, rather than leaving the decision to investors, analysts or a judging panel. Village Capital and TMC have committed a total $100,000 investment to the program. Throughout the process, participating entrepreneurs will assess one another and at the end of the program, the two highest-ranking businesses will each receive $50,000.
The twelve startup companies selected for participation range from software development and mobile technologies, to enhanced communication and patient care coordination. The companies include:
- 1DocWay builds telepsychiatry networks for hospitals to help them expand reach and create new revenue streams.
- AsthmaMD is set to modernize asthma care with an innovative mobile application and easy-to-use Peak Flow Meter to gauge lung performance.
- BoardRounds saves lives and money with better emergency room follow-up care.
- Hybrent builds intuitive solutions for hospitals to reduce medical supply expenses, provide patient visibility, and integrate with trading partners.
- iRxReminder is a mobile patient data gathering and monitoring for ensuring patient compliance in research and healthcare delivery.
- Healarium enables physicians to capture new billing opportunities with services now reimbursable by Medicare (chronic care management, annual wellness visits, and transitions of care), in an efficient and scalable way with patient friendly, clinically appropriate care plans.
- NavAssist is a cancer navigation platform that promotes communication and transparency between cancer patients and their care providers.
- Seratis builds a network of providers and family members around a patient in order to better coordinate care inside and outside the hospital.
- Speak MODalities creates software apps that help kids with autism learn speech and language skills.
- Symptify is a virtual doctor visit that uses a patent- pending, algorithmic engine to help users narrow the causes of their symptoms, find the closest place to get care and give a heads-up when going to a facility.
- Uberhealth enables children staying away from their parents to manage their elder’s well-being from a distance.
- VerbalCare focuses on channeling the patient voice in a way that delivers actionable insight for clinicians.
TMC and Village Capital will provide mentorship, business development, technology and access to local leaders, investors and potential customers. Businesses in the program will have access to the largest collection of top physicians, scientists and business expertise on one campus.
TMC is the largest medical complex in the world, serving 7.2 million patients annually. It is comprised of 55 member institutions including 21 renowned hospitals, three medical schools, eight academic and research institutions, six nursing programs, three universities, two pharmacy schools and a dental school.
Village Capital has supported 400 enterprises across 30 accelerator programs in nine countries over the past four years. The organization has also screened 10,000 companies providing business solutions to major social problems, with enterprises reaching six million customers, creating 6,000 jobs and raising more than $100 million in follow-on capital.
VilCap USA will be housed within TMC’s 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art Innovation Institute and will complement TMC’s accelerator program, TMCx, which will launch in March. All Village Capital entrepreneurs will be encouraged to apply to TMCx.
RT @OncLiveSOSS: Jonathan Mizrahi, MD, of @MDAndersonNews, explains where personalized therapy comes into play for patients with mCRC https…
Wisconsin Veterans Home at Chippewa Falls receives high rating https://t.co/ssIcJouAn3 via @chippewaherald
Phase II clinical trial offers hope to patients with blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm, a rare but highly aggressive blood cancer that previously had no treatment options: https://t.co/vr6R24ePni @doctorpemm @DrHKantarjian #endcancer
VA Beckley Medical Center celebrate women Veterans https://t.co/v80wANvllI via @WVVA
TAMU Health Sciences@TAMHSC
Have you ever avoided a question at the doctor's office? On this episode of #TAMU Health Talk, Matt Hoffman, @TAMUnursing, explains why you should be honest at your health care provider's office. Listen now: https://t.co/Fjc169xYij #TAMUHealth https://t.co/cdQBCMvSl7
@dukehale2 @ppisters @Forbes Thank you, Duke. We appreciate your kind words and support.
RT @MDA_UTHGrad: Congrats to faculty member Richard R. Behringer, PhD, for being named the 2019 recipient of the D. Dudley and Judy White O…
Fernley, NV: Remains of 15 Unclaimed Veterans receive military funeral https://t.co/dKvTxrnum5 via @Militarydotcom
Avoiding stress outright is unrealistic, but how can you cope with stress in a healthy way? Check out these tips: https://t.co/mJTsCItbxw #StressAwarenessMonth
Congratulations to @RiceTennis on winning another conference championship! 🏆More photos: https://t.co/mYnJ0VOI1S https://t.co/TyV2pF3KuH
@EvolentHealth @deaconessnews @WakeMed Appreciate the shout-out
@vypehouston @JCS_Swimming @JCS_Athletics @JCS_Baseball88 @JCSAlumniAssoc @JCS_Football @JCS_Cheer @JCS_Softball @JCS_Track @spcsports @abc13sports @abc13houston Way to go
@FulshearHSBand @vypehouston @FULSHEARGSOCCER @lcisdathletics @Fulshear_HS @FULSHEARVB @uiltexas @FulshearHS_art @fulshearffa @LamarCISD @LeamanJH @DLJHChargerBand Our pleasure. Happy to support the students
TAMU Health Sciences@TAMHSC
Why do people react differently to drinking the same amount of alcohol? Click here to find out: https://t.co/7dLJlriIPc#AlcoholAwarenessMonth #TAMUHealth https://t.co/kvqd118mFS
University of Houston@UHouston
@biboorox Hello, MD Anderson is open 24hours today but requires a cougar card after 9pm. You can check out their upcoming schedule here: https://t.co/DkbEilV8Yh