Texas Medical Center (TMC) today welcomes 13 companies specializing in digital health into the second installment of the TMCx accelerator, an institute that couples the resources of the world’s largest medical center with the innovative spark of entrepreneurs.
The second year of the TMCx program marks a notable change: each class will focus on a specialized subset of health care innovation, with two classes participating each year. Beginning today through June 2016, the 13 companies chosen will focus on digital health. In July, the next cohort will begin with a focus on medical device innovation. Unlike most accelerators, TMCx does not charge membership fees or require equity from the participating companies.
“Bringing 13 companies together, each of them focused on different aspects of digital health care innovation, will foster an incredible synergy that can lead to unpredictable associations, collaborations and greater acceleration for each company,” said Erik M. Halvorsen, director of the TMC Innovation Institute. “TMCx companies have access to the largest collection of top physicians, scientists and business expertise on one campus, which serves over nine million patients annually. The new program structure will make the best use of these important resources.”
Hailing from throughout Texas and across the country, companies accepted into the second TMCx class include:
- Aprenda Systems (Houston) – Aprenda Systems provides organizations with rich, accurate and timely directory data through access to Signature, the world’s first identity convergence platform.
- CareSet Systems (Houston) – CareSet Systems builds physician networks.
- DocResponse (Houston) – DocResponse is a software company focused on health care diagnostics for clinical decision support.
- ePreop (Seal Beach, Calif.) – ePreop’s SurgicalValet software helps coordinate perioperative care while optimizing patient engagement, billing support, readmission prevention and everything in between.
- GreenLight Medical (San Francisco) – GreenLight Medical is a decision-engine to promote cost and quality conscious purchases within hospitals for new medical technology review and approval.
- Moving Analytics (Marina Del Rey, Calif.) – Moving Analytics helps hospitals implement home-based cardiac rehab programs delivered through patients’ mobile devices.
- Qidza (San Francisco) – Qidza is a mobile platform that translates developmental science into fun health-screening activities throughout human development, beginning with babies.
- Secure Healing (Houston) – Secure Healing helps hospitals comply with auditing the requirements of HIPAA and other regulations by automatically identifying inappropriate access of confidential information.
- Sense.ly (San Francisco) – Sense.ly is a virtual nurse platform that helps clinicians better manage and communicate with their patients.
- The Right Place (Houston) – The Right Place provides hospitals and post-acute providers a more efficient and reliable way to match the right patient to the right place of care.
- TowerView Health (Philadelphia) – TowerView Health helps chronically-ill patients manage their medication.
- Valera Health (Williamsburg, N.Y.) – Valera Health is enabling the future of behavioral health care through smartphone-based support for behavioral wellness and care coordination.
- Xpress (Santa Fe, N.M.) – Xpress puts providers and patients in charge of health care, giving them real-time access to unbiased pharmaceutical resources and information.
TMCx provides a comprehensive and practical curriculum to assist participating founders on their entrepreneurial path. Successful investors, entrepreneurs, subject-matter experts, industry professionals and hospital leaders guide each startup in the areas of intellectual property, product development, regulatory strategies, health policy, marketing, fundraising, contract negotiations and communications. In addition, TMCx companies participate in the accelerator without the requirement to provide equity in return.
TMCx is now welcoming applications online for its third class that runs from July until December 2016. For more information, visit www.tmc-x.org.
TMCx is the Texas Medical Center’s accelerator program housed in a 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility, designed to catapult the development of early-stage companies. TMCx is one of the core components of the Texas Medical Center’s Innovation Institute and the first step in the Texas Medical Center’s long-term plans to become one of the world’s premiere life science commercialization clusters. TMCx provides life science and digital health entrepreneurs the essential resources for growth including office and meeting space, training curriculum, a core group of business and legal experts and a network of advisors and potential investors. The inaugural TMCx program launched in spring 2015.
Veteran battling suicidal thoughts opens horse ranch to help military families https://t.co/6WhmrYwvps via @wtkr
War Veterans find sustenance–and solace–in farming https://t.co/vTYOWK5EIW via @NewsHour
From naming her IV pole to decorating her hospital room, #lymphoma survivor shares how she got through a #stemcelltransplant: https://t.co/ymTuHbW8hR #endcancer https://t.co/IekDCNuWDp
Veterans repair home of Vietnam Veteran and volunteer https://t.co/rY3PU1oYXW via @pnj
RT @UHpres: Cougars beat Navy 49-36. Next up USF on Saturday, Oct 27th. Go Coogs!!
Ya woo @UHCougarFB wins!
RT @UHCougarFB: COOGS WIN! The #HTownTakeover defeats Navy, 49-36, to become bowl eligible at 6-1 overall and improve to 3-0 in @American_F…
Dr. Pauline Rosenau of @UTexasSPH talks about the growing trend of "concierge" medicine and its implications for physicians and patients in this @HoustonChron story: https://t.co/F5GiUhhitK #publichealth #healthcare
#Sarcoma caregiver’s advice to other parents of children with #childhoodcancer: “Be kind to yourself.” https://t.co/ChPAU0633S @kidsandcancer #endcancer https://t.co/F6pQ85jKsT
Learn how @BCM_SportsMed athletic trainer Meghan McKay stays fit. https://t.co/hwiYdYrMLE #healthy #habits
RT @RiceFootball: 🏈 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 🏈🆚 » @FIUFootball 📍 » Riccardo Silva Stadium ⏰ » 6:30PM CT 🖥 » ESPN+ 🔗 » https://t.co/apR29eo4Hf 📻 » @S…
@ehaasmd Thanks for sharing the photos.
What is #protontherapy and what types of cancer can it treat? https://t.co/r63xWsEgr4 @mdaprotons #endcancer https://t.co/yP6k35iFhV
@TheCAOG Thanks for sharing the photo.
@BCMDeptMedicine Thanks for sharing the info.